Tuesday 12 August 2014

Col de Croix de Fer and Col de Glandon. The Two for One Deal!

Over the past few days, I'd managed to ride up all the climbs on my target list, in the Bourg d'Oiseans area, apart from two. The Col de Croix de Fer and Col de Glandon form a pair that can be reached in one climb. The Glandon is virtually on the way to the Croix de Fer.

I set off today with company. Ollie and Louise, a couple staying in the same accommodation, also wanted to climb these two cols. We set out together in glorious sunshine to cover the first 9km of flat riding to Rochtaille, and then the gentle climb to the dam at Lac Verney, It's not until 17kms into the ride that the gradient starts to pick up significantly. Ollie was the first off the front of the group, and as the gradient continued to climb to 9 and 10%, I gradually lost Louise's wheel and slipped further and further behind. It was no real surprise. At around 24 km into the ride, Ollie and Louise had stopped in a cafe to take a break. I let them know that I was planning to get to the top without stopping, and on I went.

This is a hard climb. The gradient stays around 10%  for significant periods. The lower overall gradient figure is mainly caused by two significant downhill sections. The first of these comes at around 26km, when a series of steep ramps and hairpins takes the road down to cross a river. The ascent the other side is just as steep, but then settles back to the unrelenting 10% gradient. Occasionally, gradients of 14 and even 16% occur, but these are thankfully short.

This steep climb continues until the dam at Lac Grand Maison is reached. This is the top of a very impressive hydro electric generation scheme that can deliver 20 gigawatts of power to the French grid. After the lake is reached, the gradients ease to between 5 and 8 %. There is another descent before the final 7% assault on the summits. I rode past the Glandon to get all the way up to the Croix de Fer without stopping. My plan was nearly scuppered by a herd of cows that had decided to leave their pasture and wander onto the road. Fortunately, though cars could not pass them, bikes could.

Although this last part of the climb has a modest 7% gradient, the work I'd done to get this far meant that I couldn't really take advantage of the reduced slope, and I finally wheezed to the top 3 hours and 2 minutes after leaving Bourg. And I had to remember that unlike other climbs in this region, there is a serious amount of climbing to do to get back.

The bike that helped me to the top
The weather was starting to close in at the top of the climb. So I curtailed photographic activity to get inside and warm up. Consequently, the picture of the actual Iron Cross that gives the Col de Croix de Fer it's name, is from yesterday's visit when the light was nicer.

The track to the Croix de Fer is available on Garmin Connect.

At the cafe, I downed a couple of hot chocolates, and a cheese and ham omelette. Then I noticed that they had some rather nice tee-shirts. I paid for my meal and bought a tee-shirt to use as a base layer on the way down! And wasn't that a great idea. It kept me warm through the increasingly heavy rain that I encountered on the way down.

I visited the Col du Glandon on the way down. It would have been rude not to!

The track down to the Glandon is available on Garmin Connect.


The enormous bicycle sculpture at the Col de Glandon. Unfortunately bits of it have fallen off and are lying in the grass. Again this picture is from yesterday's visit, when the light was nicer.

I didn't meet up with Ollie and Louise. They did make it to the top, but while I was inside the cafe, out of sight stuffing my face with omelette.

The track for the return from the Col de Glandon is available on Garmin Connect.

Today was definitely the toughest so far. I have to hope it's good enough preparation for the Col du Telegraphe and the Col du Galibier, another double act of cols coming soon to a cyclist near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment