Sunday 3 August 2014

Gadget Update

A couple of months ago, I needed to get some new cycling shoes. The shoes I had been using were several years old and completely shot. I wanted a pair for the Alpine trip and that could take both Shimano SPD and Look cleats. I've been using SPD for years, but was still harbouring the desire to get a set of power measuring pedals, which only come in Look form

A visit to one of our local cycle stores resulted in purchase of some Bontrager shoes that fitted the bill perfectly and were on special offer. While chatting about my reasons for wanting shoes that could take both kinds of cleats, it turned out that the shop actually had the Garmin Vector pedals I'd been thinking about, and the matching Garmin Edge 1000 head unit. To cut a long story short, I ended up doing a deal on shoes, pedals and head unit. It goes without saying that they're not cheap. But if you can't be outrageously profligate in support of items on your bucket list, when can you be?

The data available from the new set up has been unbelievably useful. I've heard commentators and professional cyclists talk about 'riding the numbers', and now it all makes sense. For example, I can see how my power output affects my heart rate, and I can see and correct the balance between how much work I'm doing with my right and left leg. I now know that I can ride for long distances at power outputs around 200 watts, and can hit 500 watts when I need to. I'm expecting that the ability to set a pace based on power output is going to be invaluable when tackling unfamiliar Alpine geography.

My acquisition of an Edge 1000 means that Angela benefits from some technology trickle down. Her bike is now sporting a set of Garmin sensors and the Edge 750. Both head units have full European mapping, so we shouldn't get lost in the Alps!

No comments:

Post a Comment