Tuesday 7 August 2018

Back in Time for Dinner

One of last years most embarrassing misadventures was my attempt at a 'micro marmotte'. This ride starts by climbing the Col du Glandon from the Bourg d'Oisans side, and then descends into the Maurienne valley, traversing it to St-Jean-de-Maurienne. It then returns via the Col de la Croix de Fer. The problem last year was that the D 926 which leads directly to the Croix de Fer, was closed for maintenance when I tried to use it. As a result, I had to take a diversion over the Col du Mollard, and was late for dinner.

This year I had checked the roadworks before setting out. Everything was open. I got to the top of the Glandon in around 2 hours and 40 minutes, which compares favourably with last year. I also made use of 'basins' in Allemont and Rivier d'Allemont on the way up. I still think this is the toughest climb from Bourg, though the Sabot pushes it close. It has long sections of 10% and above before Rivier d'Allemont. It's important to pace the effort.

Coco at the Col du Glandon
 Once at the top, there was just time to take the obligatory  picture of the bike in front of the sign, have a quick bite to eat, and put on a jacket before heading down to St-Etienne-de-Cuines. It's a fast technical descent, which can be terrifying and exhilarating at the same time! I flew down to Saint-Colomban-des-Villards, where I managed to find the 'basin' and replenish my bottles. Then it was the final descent into the valley, and the ride along to St-Jean-de-Maurienne, ready to climb the Col de la Croix de Fer.  I found the roundabout with the huge model of the Opinel knife on it. This is one of the first folding knives created in France and is still available. I have one in my toolkit. It's superb!

The bike at the roundabout with the massive Opinel knife
 I nearly had a hissy fit as I arrived at the roundabout. This is the point where, last year, I discovered that the road I wanted to use was closed. This year there was another yellow notice warning of a closure. Fortunately, it is not until August 20th. Phew! I headed up.

View back down to St-Jean-de-Maurienne from the climb to the Col de la Croix de Fer
The initial climb is steep, with gradients frequently above 10%. It was also hot, with my Garmin registering over 40 degrees initially. Things cooled off as I climbed. There are also a couple of tunnels on the road, which are mercifully cool inside. As I wound my way further up the climb, cloud came in and the temperature dropped into the high 20s, which was a relief. Thunder rumbled around the mountains for a bit and we had a little rain. The road divides just before St-Jean-d'Arves. The main road descends to meet the road from the Col du Mollard, which I rode last year. I decided to take the higher road which goes through St-Jean-d'Arves. The surface is not so good, but it's much quieter than the main road. It eventually descends to join the main road on the outskirts of St-Sorlin d'Arves, the main ski resort in the valley. Like most French ski resorts, it's steep and hot. I couldn't wait to get through it and back out onto the mountain proper. From there its's only a few more kilometres to the top of the climb.

3 kilomtres to go and a view back down the valley I'd just ridden up.
 As is often the case, just before the summit, the vistas open up. The scenery is stunning!

The bike at the top of the Col de la Croix de Fer
There was no real time for sightseeing this year, if I was to make it back in time for dinner! I still had over 30 km to got, though admittedly most of it was descending, or in the flat of the valley.

The descent off the Croix de Fer is one of my favourites. There was little traffic around, so I went for it, and even overtook a car on the way down. The road is fast an flowing, and I hit 60kph and more in some sections. The hairpins are easy to see, and great fun! Even the short steep climb, just before Rivier d'Allemont didn't seem too hard today. I replenished my bottles once more, and flew down the final part of the descent back to Allemont. Lovely!

There was a bit of a headwind in the valley, but that didn't detract from a successful day, and a couple of exhilarating descents! And I was back in time for dinner!

The details of this ride are available on Strava.

No comments:

Post a Comment