Tuesday 14 August 2018

Lunch in Deux Alpes

It definitely feels like I'm winding down now after the Marmotte ride on Sunday. After yesterday evening's heavy rain, which continued overnight. the cloud was slow to lift this morning. Just as well that I delayed riding. I discovered that Blogger had lost all of the text from the entry about the Marmotte day. I had to rewrite the whole thing! It took a while. On the plus side, I did check out the photos from the photographers en route, and chose one from the Galibier to add to the day's entry.

After another leisurely morning, the weather started to improve. I decided to head out to Deux Alpes for a spot of lunch. I've not had meals at lunchtime since I've been here. It would be a new experience.

After getting the bike ready and heading off up the gorge towards Lac Chambon, I turned right at the first junction, taking the road up via Bons. The road climbs high above the gorge in the forest. The ramps are at 8% and above. Today, I had plenty of power, and spun up the inclines fairly easily. Eventually, the road flattens and becomes a balcony, with spectacular views across the valley.

La Romanche, where it broadens at the barrage at Le Clapier
Looking west, the Romanche river broadens at the EDF barrage at Le Clapier, near Le Velo Jaune. It's possible to see the road to the Col du Lautaret as it starts to wind its way up the gorge.

The valley is heavily forrested lower down
 There are hamlets and villages dotted across the hillsides above the river.

The balcony road high above the main road to the Col du Lautaret
From the balcony road, the route of the road to the Col du Lautaret and the Galibier is plain to see as it winds its way up to Lac Chambon.

The main road winding up the gorge
Across the valley are a number of villages that make up the Auris commune. At the top left of the photo is the ski resort of Auris station.

Villages of the Auris commune, and the ski station above
On the far side of the balcony section, the road kicks up again, and finally joins the main road to Deux Alpes just outside Bons. From there its a simple climb via the numbered hairpins to Deux Alpes itself. Again, the gradients are 8% or so, and felt quite manageable.

Once in the Deux Alpes itself, the road flattens out. It's a pretty resort, and still busy at this time of year. A couple of times people stepped out in front of me without looking. Shouts of  'Attention' from me soon got their attention!

A nicely restored van of a type I didn't recognise in Deux Alpes.
I meandered through town until I finally found the Red Frog, where I would have met Martin last week, if the weather hadn't intervened. It's also where I did meet Angela for a dring, back in 2014. Since I had managed to miss dinner last night, I decided to have a full lunch.

BLT and Cappucino at the Red Frog.
It was very good. Later, however, it did confirm why I don't eat a proper lunch while on a full day ride.

The Red Frog
 While I was eating, Shawn and Martin turned up. They had come up to check out the end of season sales in the ski shops. They are both looking for equipment for next season. They joined me and we chatted for a while.

Architecture in Deux Alpes is typically, er, Alpine
Eventually it was time to ride down. I took my time, and kept stopping to photograph the views. This  will be the last time I'll be up here.

Mizoen, the village above Lac Chambon

The Outfall into Lac Chambon below Mizoen was running fast today


The road to the Col du Lautaret as it climbs alongside Lac Chamobon

The lower end of the relief road, now closed.
A few days ago, I photographed the upper end of the relief road, built a couple of years ago to get local traffic past the collapsed tunnel on the main road to the Lautaret. The lower end of it meets the road to Deux Alpes just above Lac Chambon. Sad to see its demise. We enjoyed riding on it last year.

The tunnel above Le Freney and the gorge of the Romanches
The descent into Le Freney is becoming quite familiar, as is the subsequent climb out and tunnels, before the final drop into Le Clapier.

Another very relaxing day. Just one more now before I have to head home.

Details of today's ride are on Strava.

1 comment:

  1. Why are everyone looking for ways online to get help solving their pregnancy and infertility problems when most of every native American is talking online about the help of Dr Mandaker Alamun. I checked him out when my husband who could not get me pregnant for over 9 years of marriage as a result of low sperm count became fertile and now, I am 5 months pregnant and it is this man known as Dr Mandaker who helped my husband solve his problem. My name is Alecia Maldonado from CA USA. I would advise anyone and everyone who needs the help of any spell caster in love marriage,finance, job promotion,lottery spell,poker spell,golf spell,Law & Court case Spells,money spell,weigh loss spell,diabetic spell,hypertensive spell,high cholesterol spell,Trouble in marriage,Barrenness(need spiritual marriage separation),good Luck, Money Spells,he also heal HIV and AID and it's all he does or looking for breakthrough in your political career to meet this Dr Mandaker the link to his website copy this link (witch-doctor.page4.me)His email contact witchhealing@outlook.com for He is a Reliable and trustworthy. I and my husband have gone to different hospitals having the thinking that I was at fault for not getting pregnant. But at the Federal hospital, they examined him too and his sperm count was low and unable to get a woman pregnant as a result of male infertility. It was then I sort out,thanks to Dr Mandaker.

    ReplyDelete